Mobile Version - May - June 2021
From the Director - Dr. Jonathan Mermin
I will soon finish my temporary assignment as CDC's Director of the Center for Preparedness and Response. It has been rewarding to work with excellent CDC colleagues and partners in a massive national effort to respond effectively to COVID-19, decrease health inequities associated with the pandemic, and begin to build back a stronger public health system. I want to thank Dr. Deron Burton for his outstanding work as the Acting NCHHSTP Director. Recently, he issued a letter highlighting resources to support the equitable distribution and administration of COVID-19 vaccines. Please read about and share these resources with public health professionals and partners.
Our focus on health equity crosses the spectrum of diseases and public health. This approach will be familiar, and the new resources will be useful–for those of us who work in HIV, viral hepatitis, STDs, TB, and adolescent health.
National HIV Behavioral Surveillance (NHBS) report
CDC released its first National HIV Behavioral Surveillance (NHBS) report focusing on HIV among transgender women. Overall, HIV diagnoses increased 9% among transgender people in the United States and dependent areas from 2014-2018, although HIV diagnoses declined 21% among transgender persons aged 13-24 years. The report highlights an urgent need and supports the increased focus on supporting HIV prevention among transgender persons.
STD Surveillance Report, 2019
CDC published Sexually Transmitted Disease Surveillance, 2019. Reported cases of chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis increased for the sixth straight year – reaching a new, all-time high. These infections remain common, costly, and challenge the health and wellness of millions of people across the United States. In 2019, the U.S. health departments reported:
- 8 million cases of chlamydia, an increase of nearly 20 percent since 2015,
- 616,392 cases of gonorrhea, an increase of more than 50 percent since 2015, and
- 129,813 cases of syphilis (all stages), an increase of more than 70 percent since 2015.
What's New in AtlasPlus
Recently CDC's AtlasPlus updated national, state, and county-level data including:
- Preliminary 2019 and quarterly, cumulative 2020 data on HIV diagnoses at the national-, state-, and county-level and linkage to HIV care at the state- and EHE-county level.
- Updated 2019 and preliminary quarterly, cumulative 2020 data on PrEP coverage at the national-, state-, and county-level.
- Social determinants of health data for 2011-2019 at the national- and state-level (1-year estimates), and for 2015-2019 at the county-level (5-year estimates).